Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Well, I'm in Canadia!

Hey y'all.

So, I've been missing for a while and that is because I made a very spontaneous decision to buy a one way ticket to Vancouver, B.C. I wasn't really sure how to start this blog post. But there ya go! I'm in the Great White North.

Now, this trip isn't just for no reason. I'm in Vancouver to tour UBC (University of British Columbia) and to visit all of my family up here. Most of my cousins I haven't seen in years and I'm really excited to finally see them again!

I've also decided to be a bit more touristy while here. I've been to Canada (or as I like to call it Canadia) almost every year since before I can remember. (I'm a dual citizen and most of my family lives up here).

I arrived Friday night (March 14th) and was picked up by my aunt Salma and my cousin Isiah. We just hung out and got every thing settled. I love her apartment. It is the coolest place ever. Right in the middle of downtown Vancouver and with an amazing view!
The view from her apartment. So amazing!

On Saturday, we went out to Burnaby (which is just east of Vancouver) to do some grocery shopping and walk around in this huge mall called Metrotown. Holy moly, that place was intimidating. It just didn't seem to end. 

While we were shopping, my cousin and I decided to take some selfies.

Yep, he is a cutie. And so funny! At one point, I told him that I was going to introduce him to rap music and he said (and I quote) "who is rap? - is he a friend?" Yeah, I know. He is the best!

Under the number sign, to the right…are the buns! 
On Sunday, we walked to Chinatown and got the most amazing coconut buns I have ever had. It was at this hole in a wall bakery, and man oh man are these things delicious! We got there at the perfect time too because right after we ordered a dozen, the bakery was full of people and there were only three buns left! 

There they are. In all their glory!

So good. Every time I come to B.C. I always crave any kind of Asian food because they have the most authentic! (Apart from actual China, South Korea, Vietnam, or Thailand…hehe).

Then, we dropped off Isiah to his dads and went to explore the downtown mall with my other aunt Shaira. So much shopping! And walking! My feet were dead. 

Monday, I just hung around and made plans for the rest of the week. I was also researching what to do for next week since Isiah will be home the whole time with us! 

But today, I took the sky train down to Richmond, which is suburb in Vancouver to meet up with my aunt Shaira. We took a drive to Steveston Village, which is where Once Upon A Time is filmed. We walked around and then had lunch at this amazing sushi place. 

That's about all to Steveston Village
The sushi we had was delicious. We had arrived just in time because the restaurant was closing at 2. We ordered and got our yummy "boxes", which had quite a bit of food.
Tempura, salad (the white square bowl), sushi, sashimi, chicken and miso soup.

All with complimentary tea. We had gotten there so close to closing that by the time we were done with our food, we were the last ones in the restaurant. The place was completely empty.
Like a ghost town…um, restaurant...
I also got a picture of the guy behind the counter making the rolls, but he doesn't look too happy hehe. He saw me taking a picture of him and then when my aunt told him I was from Texas he smiled and said "welcome to Canada!"How wonderful.
Not too happy, eh?

Once we finished, Shaira dropped me back to the station and I took a ride home. I even saw a guy wearing a Texas jersey. I was going to approach him but up here people freak out when you randomly talk to them. 

But so far, so good! It hasn't been too cold and it's only rained once (if you don't count misting).





1 comment:

  1. Hey Kashmira,
    Zully uncle (Bapa) gave me your blog link to follow!
    I'm Taamisah, one of your million cousins here in the Vancouver area :P You might remember me and my sister Nahtasha, we've met quite a few times, and the last time you visited us was a few years back with your friend Shanti. My email address is taamisah.mitha@gmail.com. Send me an email and I'll give you my phone number. We can get together sometime next week if you're available.

    Hope to hear back from you
    Taamisah

    ReplyDelete