Monday, August 12, 2013

The Shots

Yesterday I finally got all the shots I needed for Africa. Exactly 2 weeks and a day before I leave. (They recommend getting shots 2 weeks in advance so I think I'm ahead of the curve.) I had to receive the IPV (polio), TDap, and Yellow Fever vaccine. The yellow fever is the most important one because without it I wouldn't be allowed into most African countries. It's also the vaccine with most side effects. Fainting, swelling, itchiness, fever, body aches...the list goes on. Thankfully I haven't felt many effects from the shots. I personally hate shots, with a passion. The most anxiety I feel is sitting in the doctors office while the nurse starts prepping my arm. And that's exactly what happened yesterday. I started making pacifying movements and my body language was screaming fear. Thankfully, the nurse was very understanding and sweet and made sure that the shots were over quick. All in all it was a successful appointment. I also had to pick up the typhoid medication which I have to take over the course of five days. I'm all drugged up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment