Thursday, October 31, 2013

Changes

This week I made a very important decision. I chose to stop volunteering at the Muslim Secondary School. Monday was my last day at the school, but I didn't actually spend anytime there. We (Dorcas, me, three form 1 boys and three form 2 girls) went to the national library for a meeting/workshop for the librarians and students in the area. The workshop was supposed to start at 8 a.m. I didn't get to the school until 9:45 and we didn't arrive to the library until 10. But that was no problem because we weren't even late! This, is the best example of African time. Everyone is told 8 a.m. And the actual conference doesn't start until 11:30 a.m. This particular meeting was actually very interesting (although one of the guys just wouldn't stop talking!). From the start, all the librarians were asked to discuss problems they have. Apparently, there is a huge rift between librarians and teachers...(not sure if the same problem occurs in America...) and I can't lie. I have noticed tensions between some of the teachers with Dorcas. They don't really see her as important as other teachers, and many librarians at the meeting were also complaining of that. Librarians are a key component to a child's education. As one librarian said "we provide the tools and information that both teachers and students have and need to use." I couldn't have put it better myself. The two hosts of the meeting (whose names I cannot remember...whoops!) were representatives from KNLS (Kenya National Library Service - the group that provided funding for the library we were meeting at) and KLA (Kenya Librarian Association). The meeting was to bring support and networking for the librarians in the area. I won't bore you with all the details but at the end the chairman of the KNLS asked "can our sister from America give a response for all that she has witnessed today?" And so...I stood up and just told them how cool it was that they were doing something like this (and it really is awesome what they are doing) and that I hope it will work for years to come. After the meeting we all hung around and chatted. And I was again asked to volunteer at the National Library and this time I decided to give a solid answer and say yes. The term at school ends in 2 weeks and my visa will expire not long after, in which case I'll be leaving. I couldn't pass up an opportunity to diversify my volunteering. And Dorcas was so supportive. She had wanted me to volunteer there for a while and she was glad that I agreed. I actually started at the library the very next day and that's where I have been since. I go from 9:30 to 2 pm. I work in the American Corner which is funded by the American Embassy. I've been processing books, nothing too fancy. But these are all the boxes we have to do. 
When I say we I mean myself, Irene, Evans and Anthony. They are the cleaners there and they help me out with all the books. They have been so nice! They are very proud of Obama. Not because of politics but because his village is so close to Kisumu and because they are all "cousins" hahaha. While we were talking I noticed something...people like America. Before I left, many people told me I shouldn't tell people that I am from America because America isn't well liked. That may be the case, but I don't think lying about where I am from would make someone like me any more. And maybe, as I explore and travel to other places I won't get the same reaction as here but honestly, no one really cares. And let's just say that they do care, they are happy to know I am from America. They either have a relative there or dreams to go there. They don't judge me on where I am from but how I treat them as a human being. And vice versa. Which is the way it should be. I am proud to be an American and I will not lie to anyone about where I am from or who I am. And if they end up disliking me for being American, then they are not someone I want to spend my time with. But anyway, I am excited to be volunteering at the National library! And the American Corner is the children's section...so who gets to work with cute kids all day? This girl! 
So adorable! And I still plan on visiting the Muslim Secondary school. I am actually going tomorrow just to say hi and see everyone. I just can't stop seeing them! Everyone has been so kind and wonderful. It's been an amazing experience and I know I have friendships that will last a lifetime with Dorcas, Halima and the "wolf pack". 

1 comment:

  1. OMG yet ANOTHER adventure!!! How clever of you to diversify your volunteering experiences, as you pointed out.
    I'm delighted that you are finding little nastiness because of your nationality; and I fully suggest that you are aiding the US in its worldwide reputation simply because of your personality, and hard work, and the personal interaction with the Kenyans you have met.
    I love the idea of your keeping in touch with your Kenyan buddies in the years to come. AMEN for email, right??
    PS - That's a lot of books!!! Sheesh!!!

    ReplyDelete