Sunday, October 27, 2013

My Voice is Forever Recorded

I got another picture of the guard! Hopefully this one is more clear...
That thin line beside her leg...that's the gun! On Friday, Dorcas got an application to fill out for this program called Worldreader. What it is, is that it will donate e-readers to a library in order to reduce the cost of books. All the necessary textbooks and thousands of titles in fiction as well as non-fiction are free to access. The deadline for the application is Novemeber 1st and by the 9th (I think) she will know if our library got selected. If our library did get selected it would change everything. There wouldn't be any worry about books being stolen. And I think they would also implement a much better security system than what we would had. It is meant to promote reading and I think the kids would really benefit from it. So I really hope we get selected!! And then on Friday, Zeina (Halima's daughter) decided to come hang out with us in the library. It was so funny! She would run up to me, grab the pencil and some random book and pretend to read. 
And then she would quietly close the book, put down the pencil and run off! She did that maybe three times. And she knows my name now so she says "mzungu Kashmiraaaa!" All the time. Haha! Then on Saturday, we had another religious class but instead of going to the classroom we got to go to Impala park. Impala park is a nature park where there are zebras and impalas freely roaming around. It also has a mini zoo with all these animals. And there is a hotel called Ecolodge which is right on the lake and is absolutely gorgeous! 
There is the lake. And this is where we got to sit for our class. 
That little gazebo right on the lake is where we were. So pretty!! And the class was much better than the first class I went to. We had teacher from Nairobi and we just had an open discussion about everything. He was able to answer my questions much better than the other guy. And he would not only answer my question but have the rest of the students answer also and discuss each answer individually. He was a very nice man and a great teacher. I feel like I was able to learn a lot more from him than the last guy. He didn't talk to us as if we were 5 year olds. It was a great learning experience for me. It was also cool because this Impala park would cost me $15 dollars not including food or anything. But because I went for this class I got free admission anddddd free food!! Breakfast and lunch! Yum yum! We had these burgers for lunch. Oh. My. God. It reminded me of home! Of dad's burgers! They had grilled onions and cheese on top, just like dad's! Best burger I've had in Africa so far! And today we had a seniors barbecue at the sports club. Asma, Afsana (one of the other girls) and I played, I don't know how many, card games! And there was bingo. Hehe (for the oldies). But it was a nice time. It was just a fun gathering to be together and spend the afternoon. Massi played a game where she bowled! She almost toppled over throwing the ball, thankfully she was fine! But it was so funny. And on the way home Asma called into a radio station. She made me talk and then 20 minutes later my voice was broadcasted all over Kenya! Hahaha! It was so weird. They asked me where I was from (I said Kisumu), what my name was (I said Asma), the answer to the question (which I didn't know but Asma told me) and who I dedicated the song to...Rehan! Asma's little brother!!! It was so weird to hear my voice on the radio. And they shall never know it was just a girl from Texas talking because her friend was too shy to speak! 


1 comment:

  1. I loved your "being on the radio" story! Does Kenyan radio know of DRAKE? Which reminds me, I remember now why I like Drake… he's the one who beat up Chris Brown (that supreme jerk!) when they met at a club, so any one who does that is all right in my book!! :)
    Is the person with the gun a soldier? I don't notice a uniform so that's why I'm asking.
    Tell Halima that I think her daughter is SOOOO pretty… although I expect she already knows that! :) And isn't it wonderful that she came over to "pretend" to read and write… that's a good sign that she's interested in school and wants to do well! :)

    ReplyDelete