Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Lesson Number One

I taught a class today!!!! A real class! For a real subject! Form 1, English! Form 1 is the equivalent to 9th grade. Although some of the guys were 17...but who cares! I taught a class!! The English teacher, Madam Matta (I think that's how you spell it) came up to me during lunch and asked me if I would be able to teach her class for 40 minutes. Of course, I said yes! What I had to teach them was a little lesson on note taking. Super simple. But oh my god. I was so nervous! I kept glancing at the clock, counting down the minutes until I had to go and teach. I was having a mini panic attack. And then one of the girls came to take me to the class. And bam. There were 30 kids just staring at me. I didn't know what to say, so I just told them my name and then started with the lesson. It went real smooth. At the beginning they were loud and rowdy but then after I said "quiet down y'all, I'm serious." They shut up. I told them that if they needed any help, to come ask me. But of course, this pair of girls were trying to copy. And I caught them. So I just looked at them and said "if you need help, ask me." And then they walked up all shy to ask for help. The kids finished the lesson real quickly. So they were all talking and I sat up straight and said "is everyone done with the notes?" And they all said "yes" and I said "alright. Ask me whatever you want to know about Texas or America." And that's when they got all excited. The class was supposed to end at 2:40 but the other teacher never showed up so we stayed talking about America until the end of the day (4pm). I even got a picture of them all! My first class ever! 
That's the boy's side. 
And there are the girls. They were so sweet. And so interested in everything. I plan on learning all of their names soon!! It was just so cool. Now I know how all my teachers felt, hehe. And then today I met Dorcas son, Junior. 
They are so cute! He was such a momma's boy. Following her around like a lost puppy. I also had a lengthy conversation with a Form 4 student named Richard. (Form 4 is equal to 12th grade.) We talked about politics and what he wanted to do when he went off to college. Their final semester is this term. So he told me after November he plans on studying in Nairobi to become a doctor. He is always in the library studying! But that was my humble day. I opened up my milk bag and had to improvise with a container to hold the milk in...
Yep. It's in a water bottle. Call me an innovator! Problem solver! Genius! I'll respond to all them names! Hehe, the rest of my night will just involve a yummy dinner at the restaurant and cataloging for the library. Maybe watching a movie in between all that too! It's currently raining, so a movie sounds real good! With my Africafe! 


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day! You will never forget your first teaching day!!! And good for you for letting them know that you meant business, as well as letting them know that you are ready to help if called upon. Sounds to me as if you don't need any teacher training!!!
    So waht kind of questions did they ask about the US? "Did you ever meet Michael Jackson?" kind of stuff or maybe, "Have you ever been in a tornado?"
    Love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're doing well!

    -Michael Murray

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a shooting in kenya at a mall and last time you didnt write anything for this long you were in the hospital!! Your stories are amazing and i hope you werent anywhere near that shooting. Love you chica

    ReplyDelete