Sunday, September 15, 2013

On My Own

The past couple of days have been really busy for me. A lot of dinners and meeting people in Kisumu. Friday, I spent the day at the school in the library. We cataloged I don't know how many books! I forgot to bring my iPod so I didn't take pictures (I will Monday) but they have Texan textbooks!! So I'll have a little reminder of home everyday! Then after school, dad and I went to khane with Aunt Munira and Massi. I met a bunch of girls who are all around my age which was nice! The khane here is so beautiful. It wasn't full of people though. It was nice to go after not going for so long. Saturday was the first day that dad and I didn't have an agenda. So we went to Massi's house to visit with them. She was impressed that I watch Indian movies and so we watched a part of one. (Couldn't finish it because its about 4 hours long! Haha). Then dad and I took a tuktuk - I can't explain what that is but don't worry I have pictures! 
We went to Megacity which is a mall. 
I don't think I've said this before but every shopping center in Africa, at the entrance, you have to go through a metal detector and they look through your bag. It's standard. But we went to the big Nakumatt. 
I went to the music section first and look!
Hehe. All my favorites! Now I just need to find Drake and I am set!! Aye, if any of y'all still have a tape player, I've got you covered! 
Email me your order! We went and bought these super cheap African shoes that were only 3 USD. 
And they are super cool! Then we walked around and watched a bit of a local soccer game. They had a whole thing set up for people to watch. 
And that was about all that happened yesterday (Saturday). We went for one final dinner together at Uncle Amin and Auntie Munira's house. Aunt Munira was sick though, so she wasn't able to stay the whole time with us. We watched an Indian movie together while the men were cooking! It was the first meal that dad had cooked this entire trip! And of course, it was delicious. This morning I had breakfast with dad. He gave me advice that I will remember and Uncle Amin and I dropped him off. We went through some of the run down parts of town. 
That's a huge sinkhole that leads to the school I volunteer at. It's a back road and the sinkhole was even worse earlier in the week. But that's just standard for that area of town. 
Little shacks are all over the place with people selling random things. There is a cutie!! Y'all know me, always have to take a picture of a kid!! 
There's the dirt road that leads to the airport. And then we were finally at the airport. Dad wanted me to take a picture of Uncle Amin and him as proof that dad actually went and visited him haha. 
So there you are! My father and Uncle Amin! The two smartest men in Kisumu 😉
And I am now officially on my own! I'm just sitting in the coffee lounge having coffee and eating an eclair. Call me a lone wolf, one woman wolf pack! Ha, I need to buy the movie The Hangover! Anyways, today is just going to be a house cleaning day. Get all my stuff organized. Make a grocery list. And a list of anything else I need through out the week. FaceTime my mommy and sissy 😊 and just relax before school tomorrow! 









2 comments:

  1. Loved our 4 minutes of FACETIME; I'm so excited that I could figure out how to do it. Actually you TOLD me that it was easy... but you know how I never believe that about computers! :(
    I really enjoyed your recent photos... the steel huts, the tiny little kid just standing there all alone, the roads, and those HUGE mud puddles...which reminds me, do you have any rain gear for the rainy season???
    Love you lots, Sweetie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you that the little girl was just a family friends' daughter. And they don't have the rainy season until after I leave. So I will be fine!

    ReplyDelete