Thursday, September 12, 2013

My First Day

Today was my first real day volunteering at the school. Yesterday, I went. But I only spent 3 hours in the library cataloging books the old fashioned way, with cards. Then dad and I had lunch with Munira and Amin and I tried this fruit that you can only find in Africa...jambura! 
It has a flavor that I can't describe. It's just African. It leaves this distinct after taste in your mouth. And I love it! Then dad and I walked around for a little bit. We went to Nakumatt to buy some essentials for the apartment (shampoo, conditioner, tea, coffee...etc).
Africafe is the local instant coffee made with beans grown here in Kenya. And it is the best! With some sweetened condensed milk...oh man!! That'll give you a sugar high for ages!
And just walked around downtown. 
That's the huge Nakumatt plaza. 
And just other parts of downtown. Then we went for the buffet at the hotel restaurant. I've gotta say, the food at this restaurant is amazing. I know I keep saying that the food is amazing, but seriously. I love food and having a chance to try all of this is a blessing. 
That's a custard slice from the bakery. 
Today I went to the school at 10 am. I met up with the librarian, Dorkas, and found out that the library was being used for interviews for new teachers today so I just spent the day hanging out in the staff room meeting all the teachers. 
That's some of the classrooms. 
The teachers room, bathroom and computer lab. 
That's the library. 
And that's the kitchen. They have no running water and barely any electricity. But they make it work. It's amazing. The things we take for granted in school, they don't even have. No lights, one little computer lab, no toilet paper - the bathrooms are like the one I posted a picture of in Dar (where you squat). The teachers are allowed to hit students. And oh man do they hit students! With a large wooden cane. There are some students who are older than me! -I won't be teaching them...All the teachers there are very nice and excited to have me. And all the students keep staring because I am white...or "zungu" as they like to say. But I am super excited. I got fed lunch, ugali (which is this moldable paste you use to scoop food.) with greens! 
All in all it was an exciting day. Even though I just spent the day socializing and familiarizing myself with the school. Tomorrow is when I officially start teaching so we will see how it goes. I'm sure by the time I leave there will be a bunch of Kenyan students saying "y'all" hahaha! 
We went for a fancy dinner at the Munira and Amin's house. It started at 8 and ended at 12. 7 course meal. Most of it was just the older adults talking but towards the end I made a friend!
And momma, they had your favorite chocolate. 
But now I am so tired, I am ready to pass out! It's going to be busy busy busy tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous blog chapter... loved the photos of the school and the area. OMG I forgot that teachers would be allowed to hit their students...WITH A CANE yet! Sheesh!
    I can't wait to hear how your first in the classroom goes; you'll have a ball. And you'll have SOOO many stories to tell.
    Who was that cute kid you took the photo of? She's adorable!!
    I'm so loving all this stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete