Monday, September 9, 2013

Zanzibar Part 2, Hospital and Last Days in Tanzania

The hotel we stayed at the second night in Zanzibar was beautiful. They had a wonderful infinity pool, a private beach and 2 seaside restaurants. 
That's a picture of the pool at night. We didn't have anything planned for that day. Dad and I went swimming in the pool and in the ocean. This was my first time swimming in the Indian Ocean. It was so salty. Much saltier than any other ocean I've been in. We just spent the day relaxing and hanging out. Here is a picture of some more kids in Zanzibar.
Sooo cute!!
Then we went for dinner...and that's when trouble started. I ordered the fried calamari. I love calamari. And whenever I have a chance I order it. After a couple rings, I knew it was bad. I excused myself from the table and went back to the room to throw up. Since that first time, until Saturday, I didn't stop puking or having diarrhea. I puked because of the food poisoning and then got dehydrated because I was puking so much. We went back to Dar the next day. I made it through one of the roughest boat rides. (I actually don't get seasick). But as soon as we got back to Zeby's house it started up again. We spent the night there because I wasn't able to move. Then the next morning, they took me to the nearby clinic. I saw the doctor who put me on an I.V. I've never had that before and I hate it! I had four bottles of drip. Then he sent me home. The total bill was $50,000 shillings. About 35 dollars. I felt a little bit better, but then it was back to puking. I hadn't eaten anything except 2 banana's in a 24 hour period because I couldn't keep anything down. My dad's friend Asif picked us up and dropped me back at Hanif's house. He and dad went out to bring me some food and when I couldn't keep that down even after 10 minutes they took me to the Aga Khan Hospital. This hospital is a private hospital and provides the best medical care you can get there. So they admitted me. Took my blood, ran tests, had me on I don't know how many bottles of drip. My clinical nurse, Bone, was very nice and friendly. He could tell I was scared of the I.V. needle and helped me through it. When they finished the blood test they found that I had no infection or anything. Also, I am malaria free as of Saturday! Haha. They put me in a single room (Asif didn't want me sharing) and kept me over night. The hospital system here is much like Canada where if you don't know someone or have connections you have to wait to get treated. I was hooked up to a monitor and all through out the night nurses came in to check my bp (blood pressure), my temp and my pulse. I think at one point I had a doctor come in and ask me questions. But I was so tired I am not really sure. Then they came in at 7 and gave me breakfast. I wasn't able to eat much. But from before then until 2:30 I was hooked onto drip. Sometimes, if the drip was going really fast I could feel the cold liquid spread through my forearm. It was the weirdest feeling! Like ice spreading along my arms. Around 12:45 pm the main doctor came in and evaluated me and said I was able to go. They gave me 4 different medications that I have to take. They wanted to keep me an extra night but we had other plans...like going to Kisumu and saying goodbye to everyone. 
And I have to drink as much fluid as I can. Also, I'm going to avoid sea food while here. But that has been what mainly happened over the course of three days. They spelled my name "Kashmina" instead of "Kashmira". Haha. We were supposed to go to where my dad was born, in Moshi. But because I was sick we had to cancel the flight. We are going straight to Kisumu. And whenever I can I will go to Moshi on my own. The mixture of never being in a third world country, dehydration and food poisoning was the whole reason why I was sick for so long. I kept taking medication on an empty stomach which also wasn't good. Hopeful I don't get this sick again, but if I do I now know what to do and how to handle it. 
After I was discharged, we went for lunch at Nizar's house. Nizar is Hanif's older brother. We spent the afternoon-evening chatting and sharing stories. After that, we went back to Hanif's house where we spent the night. I slept for about 15 hours. From 7:30pm to 10am. Dad went out with Asif. Sunday morning we had breakfast with Hanif. His wife, Salma, went to a meeting and Jahan had homework (ohh how I forgot what going to school was like :p) so they weren't able to join us. After that we packed up and Hanif dropped us off at this restaurant called Épid'or where we met up with Asif. It's a very nice Lebanese restaurant. We had humus and pita bread and barbecued meat. Then after that Asif dropped us back off at Zeby's house where we spent our last night. Dad took us all out for dinner to this place called Mamboz Shizzgrill. 
The food there was amazing!! We had nundu again and chicken wings. 
Because they don't have processed, steroid injected meat, the wings were only that big!! The whole dinner was delicious. And we had a wonderful time! 
We had the owner of the restaurant take a picture of all of us in front of the sign! From left to right: Aahil, Karim, Zara, dad, Zeby and me! It was such a good time and a great way to spend my last night in Tanzania...until I go back again. 
There's the fam at the dinner table. They had murals of Madagascar and Ice Age on the walls! Haha. I managed to sneak a photo of Zeby and Zara. As well as Aahil and Karim while we were waiting for a table! 
Mi familia! Haha. I wish I was able to take pictures with the Jivani's but I was basically sick the whole time I was with them. :( Next time I visit though, I totally will! 
There is a picture of the grill where they barbecue all the meat!! It reminded me of when the Samson's and our family smoked a goat for Thanksgiving! Good times! You can take the guys (my dad and Jude) out of the third world but you can't take the third world out of them! After dinner, we went to Snoopy's for ice cream. I didn't really have any because I was so full, but dad got pistachio soft serve! Something they definitely don't have in America! But it's a staple here. And was really good! We started talking about soccer and of course, when I mention that one of my favorite players is Fernando Torres, everyone started cracking jokes about how he always misses and blah blah blah. But hey, for someone who "misses" he still is on the winning team of the last World Cup and Euro cup! And he won the golden foot...sooo...
After ice cream we went back home and just relaxed for a bit. We skyped Zeby's daughter Romana, who I hope to meet the next time I'm back in Dar. Then it was bedtime and we woke up to come to the airport. Today we fly from Dar to Nairobi and then from Nairobi to Kisumu, where I will be staying for the rest of my trip!! I can't wait to see what it's like! 
We are at the Nairobi airport and it is a disaster. Nothing is organized, no one knows anything. Dad and I were wandering around and we only had an hour until our flight. Suddenly, this random guy starts telling us where to go and is helping us. As we are waiting for a shuttle, he and dad start talking politics. And they agree on everything! This guy is a very smart man. And so then when we tell him that our flight is at 1. He looks at his watch and sees its 12:30. He starts cussing and then tells for a taxi. We shared a taxi with him. He made sure we got to our terminal and then when dad asked what he owed, he said "nothing. Just a business card." He was such a nice man. It seems like everywhere we go, people are just helpful. So when we get to the security, the scanning machine breaks. Dad's bag was right in the middle. Yayyy third world. But we were able to get it and now are waiting to leave for our flight to Kisumu!
Kenya from the sky!
Just arrived in Kisumu! 



No comments:

Post a Comment