Monday, September 2, 2013

Welcome to the Fathaland!

So, I've made it to Africa!! Ahhhh! I am so excited, y'all don't even know. For those of you who were in my AP Human class, I've finally made it to tha Muthaland!! I'm currently in Nairobi. The Internet has been super sketch so nothing posted until now. We actually arrive at 2:30 am Saturday morning. I know my last Istanbul post stated otherwise but again, when you've got bad Internet, things don't load until days later...
Also, y'all are all welcome to post comments! I do read them!! 
The flight was only 6 hours and wasn't bad at all. I didn't get sick and there was a super cute German guy who was sitting beside us. If you ever want to make friends on a plane, offer a piece of gum! I've already decided that I don't want to be one of those travelers that doesn't talk to anyone. I am going to try my best to talk to people on the flight, at the hotel, wherever I can! After the flight landed I started talking to him. (To be completely truthful, I was a bit nervous to talk to him at first...also dad was sitting in between us.) Anddddd I got his email (;  We are best friends now. Haha just kidding, I haven't emailed him yet but don't worry y'all! I plan on emailing him soon!! -I actually emailed him on Sunday, but wrote this before I did, so it's a bit out dated 
Anyway. So we landed and got picked up by my grandfathers friend at 3 am to go to his house. We have been staying there since. Ohmygod. He is a millionaire and his house is gorgeous! He has a maid, Moses the cook, Razip the driver. About 10 different servants working for him. It's amazing. 
That's the closet in my room...I think all the clothes I've ever had in my life would only fit in one shelf! 
That's the shower. He has me staying in his daughter's house. She is all grown up now. His house is amazing. But we leave tomorrow for Dar es Salam. When we woke up Saturday morning, we went looking for some plugs and a phone. We went to a place called Diamond Plaza and went for a snack. I had real sugar cane juice with ginger and lime. Oh my god. It was delicious. And we had nundu. Fried fat with spices. It was amazing. Dad has made it at home, but this was even better. I've never said that before because dad is an amazing chef, but holy crap! It may be my replacement for the honey BBQ chicken strip sandwich at Whataburger!! Maybe... Then we went to the Village Market where I got a phone. The phones here are different. Every phone is open (unlocked) and it's all with pre paid cards. They don't have contracts. Personally I think that is better. All you do is register your name, phone number and bam! It's all working! Back when I used to pay my phone bill that's what I did. They have slowly gotten rid of that system in America though. If y'all wanna talk, hit me up! And everything here is so cheap. It's 83 shillings to one dollar. We are dropping hundreds like nobody's business! After that, we went back home and just relaxed. Had dinner and went to bed. I was still recovering from the time difference so I fell asleep at 9pm and didn't wake up until 11am. Today, though, has been busy (Sunnday)!  We got up to this lovely arrangement of breakfast! -in case y'all are wondering, no. I haven't gotten sick and I have been careful when it comes to eating out. At the house the water and food is safe. 
Then we went to Westgate mall to fix my phone (it wasn't working yesterday). We stopped for coffee, I got the mint pinade and a mahlindi chai latte. 
Their chai latte is made with real chai. Not the crap Starbucks makes. Then for dinner we went out to this Thai restaurant called Emerald Garden. It was super fancy. We had good wine, wonderful food and great company. I'm not sure what the drinking age is here but it is okay for me to drink. But at one point during the meal, the power went out! There are a lot of Indians here. Especially in the richer areas, where we are. They have their own version of Walmart here called Nakumatt! But I digress. Hopefully I'll be able to have a better Internet connection in Tanzania, but until then I'm just going to enjoy it here in Nairobi!! Oh! Before I forget! One of our cars has already broken down. Welcome to the third world! And dad got bit by a mosquito...uh oh malaria! -don't worry momma, we have the cure! 
Here is Frodo the puppy! Sooo cute!
We are currently in the airport on our way to Dar Es Salaam! Nairobi has been amazing! And I can't wait to visit again! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice digs! So jelly! Seems like you've had an amazing trip thus far. Super happy and excited for you because I know it's only going to get better and you're going to make the most of the experience. Eat and drink well, smile, and stay away from those stray animals! Except lions...
    -Mr. A

    ReplyDelete