Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Great Debate

Today was pretty hectic and awesome (in my humble opinion). This morning the driver wasn't around to take me to school so Ida was scrambling around trying to find me a ride. Thankfully, Damji (I think that's how you spell his name) was able to take me to school. He is one of the managers or something. He is very nice, but we didn't talk much during the ride. Just me being awkward and then saying thank you. Hehe. So blah blah blah, school happens. And then I decided to do something a little bit scary and pretty awesome in my opinion. I chopped wood, with an axe. Now, I didn't want any of the students to see me because I probably looked like an idiot. But Dorcas was out there with me. Holy crap! That axe is freaking heavy! And I kept having this image of me chopping my leg off. Don't worry, no more trips to the hospital for me! But ahhhh! It was so much fun! She and I were laughing and attempting to split this log. That didn't work out....as Dorcas said "this is a job for men." And sure enough during lunch and whenever they had a break all the boys from form 4 just went to split logs. I think it's a way for them to show off and compete with each other. But it lets Felix and the other guys take a break! 
Then, that girl Saumu, that I've mentioned earlier (I misspelled her name before) invited to me to watch the weekly debate that the school has every Thursday. The last couple of weeks I wasn't able to go because I left before they even started. But, I found out that there was going to be no one to pick me up after school so I thought I'd pass some time watching! And Dorcas gave me a tour of the dormitories that the girls stay at. This is what the main area looks like. 
The girls have to bring everything. Including the mattresses! And the girls were asking me "madam, can you buy us benches?" But they were joking! Some of those girls are sassy! Anyways, so I went and watched the debate. The topic was are short skirts better than mini skirts. It was more funny than anything. But they have really official rules. They first sing the national anthem, then everytime they address each other, they start off with thanking the "Madam" (Saumu) for the opportunity to speak. Most of the girls who were called up backed out though. They were way too shy. But the guys had no problem speaking out loud! It was very interesting to hear both sides. Especially in a school where the girls are required to wear long skirts and suggested to wear pants underneath the skirts. Eventually though, I figured it was time for me to start looking for a ride to get home. So, Dorcas and I headed to Halima's office. And then Halima pointed out something. That both Dorcas and I were matching...
With our maroon tops! Hehe, great minds think alike! So then I spent some time helping Zeina (Halima's daughter) write letters. Then Halima arranged a tuktuk for me. And I tried to get a good picture of this guys shirt and maybe y'all will be able to see it...
But his shirt said Seattle Marathon! Hahaha. So that was pretty funny. And now I am at the hotel, safe and sound. I say that because Ida was freaking out telling me that I shouldn't be staying to late at the school. But everything worked out, even though I didn't think I had enough money...but I did. Now, I am just enjoying some treats from the Victoria Terrace inside the hotel. 
Yum yum! Btw. Me and Leonard, the waiter, are bffs. Just kidding, but he is really cool! And all of the hotel staff know me now. The two hostesses come up and hug me. And everyone knows my name. Guess what movie I watched last night...Talledega Nights! Ricky Bobby!!! Best. Movie. Ever. And gave me a nice reminder of the South 😊 oh! And my new friend Asma, from khane, visited me yesterday during lunch which was great!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment