Friday, December 27, 2013

A Sunny Christmas

Christmas in Africa, or rather Arusha (since I shouldn't generalize), is not what you'd expect...it's just like Christmas at home! Except for the weather and a few minor details. 

This was my first Christmas away from home and surprisingly, I didn't feel homesick. Granted, I have FaceTime so I was able to talk to my mom, dad and sister. As well as a couple crazy aunts :p. 

But, seriously, this Christmas was pretty cool. 

On Christmas Eve, Sabrina, Asif and I all went for last minute shopping. Y'all. Shopping here is so easy! We went into the store and Asif gave the people his list. They found all the things we needed and had it all packed. During that time we went to go collect presents and buy more stuff. When we got back to the store, everything was done! 

As we got home, we got pulled over by the cops. Now, most of y'all know when you get pulled over you have to show your license, insurance, registration and the entire process takes forever. You get written up and blah blah blah. Well not here! Here the cop will pull you over and either tell you what you were doing wrong and ask for money or just straight up ask for money. So when we got pulled over Asif was already pulling out money. The whole process took maybe a minute. Maybe. I don't even think Asif fully stopped the car haha! 

So we get home and around 7 pm (this is still Christmas Eve) we start opening gifts. 

Now this part is a bit different from what my family does because we open only one gift Christmas Eve and then the rest we open Christmas morning. But apparently Europeans and Africans open the presents on Christmas Eve. And y'all, I actually got a couple of gifts! 
These two super cool bags from a designer in Dar es Salaam. The name is Moyo. And two journals that look completely African! Whoot whoot! 

Anyway, after opening gifts Sabrina and I went to watch Castle (which is my new favorite show). Before we knew it, it was 10 and we still hadn't had dinner! So Asif took us out to Khan's, which is famous in Arusha as well as among tourists. Delicious fries, chicken, mishkaki, and shish kebab! (Nope, I didn't take pictures). 

On Christmas morning, I woke up to wonderful sunny weather and a barbecue breakfast! 
It was almost like being back home! 
There is Asif, the master chef of Arusha! Omelettes galore! 

After a delicious breakfast, we spent the majority of the morning stressing over the table layout along with the silverware. 
There is the table! Sabri and I did all that y'all! Well, not the food part, that was Sabri's grandma. 

We had a relatively normal Christmas lunch, with turkey and potatoes and such. All the works! Gravy and cranberry jelly included. 

After lunch, Sabri and I realized we hadn't had any pictures together sooo guess what we did...
The two half breeds!
Showing off our food babies. 
Andddd being super girls. 

Anyway, after all the guests left we were too tired to do anything except finish Castle and eat popcorn hehe. 

The next morning we were up bright and early to go work out at the gym. After almost dying, we came home to enjoy leftover turkey omelettes!

Then, Sabri stayed home to study and I went to Jutta's (Sabri's mom) orphanage, Malika. 

This place is amazing. She has 6 boys and 6 girls. The kids are so adorable! I had visited before, but at night. So it was cool to see the entire place in the daylight. 

The entire area is self sustaining. They are fully solar powered. There is a farm with a cow and calf along with 7 chickens. They have veggies growing as well. It is just a cool place. And all the kids are registered in social welfare, which is how they are accepted at Malika, otherwise they would be full of kids. 

When I got there, there were friends of Jutta's visiting from Italy. -you pronounce her name (you-ta). So they were making pizza, tortellini, and bread for lunch. It was basically a party for the kids. 
There are some of them dancing! I have videos too!

As a surprise, for the girls mostly, a guy named Carlos came. He is Arusha's best nail guy and he is totally amazing. Those girl's nails looked so good. They all had hot pink! It was a rare treat because during school the girls aren't allowed nail polish.

After spending the majority of the day Malika (which means angel in Swahili), Sabri and I went with Rahim, Alkarim, Zuby and some aunts and uncles of theirs to go see Dhoom 3. 

We had been trying to watch Dhoom 3 the past 2 days but it had been sold out. Finally we were able to see it! 

Now, I forgot to mention that here in Tanzania and I'm sure Kenya as well, when you go to a movie...you have assigned seats. Of course, you get to purchase which seat, but you have to sit in that spot. Which I think is ridiculous, but that's just the "American" in me. 

But other than that, the movie was pretty good! Full of action, which I love. Although they totally ripped off the concept of the movie The Prestige!! Both Alkarim and I noticed. 

After the movie we had dinner and said our goodbyes since Sabri and I won't be in Arusha for New Years. 

I was so lucky to meet such cool people on the safari, and lucky that we could hang out for the last three weeks that I have been here!

And yesterday, we went to the pharmacy to help with stock counting...which was interesting.

But then we had dinner with the Italians and we had fondue...but the meat kind! Which I have never had before! And for dessert...
A chocolate truffle slice. Sooo good!! 

1 comment: