Thursday, December 19, 2013

Serengeti Part 3

We spent another night at the Serengeti camp and Tuesday morning is when we really woke up early. At 5:30 a.m.  Except for Rahim who woke up at 6 and made us wait an extra 20 minutes haha.

We didn't even bother having breakfast because we were coming back to the camp around 11 a.m. to load up the car and head the Ngorongoro. 

So off we go, at 6:20 a.m. to see animals! And first thing we see is two lions mating...so that was fun. Haha. But then, after they finished, the male started walking towards us and I got some amazing pictures! Even with my crappy camera!
Isn't he gorgeous? That's Simba all grown up! And he even walked right past us growling for his mate. It was just mind blowing to be that close to such a magnificent animal. 

And then we stumbled upon more lions. These ones were mostly sleeping, but I was able to get a video of one of the lions walking right towards us and sitting down. Then we took pictures with it in the back ground. 

There's Rahim and I trying to get the lion to attack us...I'm still alive so it obviously didn't work haha. 
That's two baby cubs cuddling!

And then we saw more cheetahs! These ones I was able to get good pictures of. 
There are two of them in the second picture, if you can see them. 

After that we headed back to pack up and have brunch. Then we headed off to Ngorongoro. The drive was supposed to take maybe 4 hours when we left around 12:30-1. But a few things happened...

First off, it rained like crazy. I'm talking thunderstorming. And then, our car broke down. The front end started smoking inside. And this is how laid back I am, I saw the smoke after everyone else also noticed it and I was the one who was blocking the door. Rahim freaked out and yelled at me to get out and I was so tired, I just looked at him and said "why?" He thought the car was going to blow up...which it didn't. But he was laughing at me afterwards. 

When Edrick and Paul inspected under the hood, they found that we had a short circuit and needed a new wire. Thankfully, after about 30-40 minutes a South African man pulled over (because remember...we were still in the middle of the Serengeti) and he had an extra wire. Then after he left the issue because, well we need tape or something to keep the wire from sparking. And this is why I call Paul a gangsta. 

Every time some one pulled over, he wouldn't even greet them. He would just say "tape leta." Which means "give me tape" in Swahili. No please, no hello, just give me tape. Hahahaha. 

But anyways, we didn't find tape so they just wrapped a plastic bag around the wire. And then we got a push start with tire to tire (as in the back tires on the truck for spares pushed eachother with another jeep). But we had no electricity anymore (no headlights, windshield wipers...) and we couldn't shut off the car because then we would have to push start again. 

But we finally made it to Ngorongoro, around 7 or so. With the complete African experience of the car breaking down! 







1 comment:

  1. What a story… including the breaking down part!!
    Do you think they plan a break down to impress the tourists???
    tee hee!!

    ReplyDelete