Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Tarangire

Saturday was the first day of the safari trip. It was all very sudden because I didn't even know who was in my group. When they picked me up at my uncles house we all had introductions and slowly I started to get to know them. 

There was Rahim, who knew the entire group except for me, Alkarim and Farrah (every one calls her Zuby), Lourna and James. Lourna is Rahim's manager in Canada and she brought her nephew James with her on this trip. Rahim, Alkarim and Zeuby are all from Arusha and they were all from khane. Also, we had a guide/driver named Edrick and a cook named Paul (who was a straight up gangstaaaa - I'll explain why later in life!). 

Anyway, that's just the run down on who is who. So then, we get to the first park which is called Tarangire. It is known for being an elephant dream land and it's true! Elephants were every where!! Front, right, left and center!
And here is a view of the park. Although, I just want to clarify that I am only using an iPod camera so the pictures are not as good as they could be. And much of the wildlife was much closer than they appeared in the photo. 
Absolutely stunning! 

There was so much wildlife there. From giraffes to elephants to evil monkeys. Oh yeah, monkeys are evil. Pure evil! And let me tell you why. 

We stopped at a beautiful view point to have a bathroom break and stretch our legs. I got an apple to eat and was just finishing up when a monkey approached me. I could tell right away what he wanted and he wasn't scared of me. So I freaked out and chunked the apple core because I'm not about to get attacked by a monkey! He ran for it (like we were playing fetch) and scampered away! But I got a picture of him. 
He has blue balls...hahaha. I took that picture before he went after me! 

After spending the whole day at Tarangire, we went to Sunbright Manyara Campsite to spend the night. 

When you go on a safari you are given the option of staying in a hotel, staying in a lodge, having a luxury tent or just plain camping. Now, being the real half African I am...I went with a group that was hardcore camping! (Also I am on a budget and can't afford anything else...hehe). 

I forgot mention that on our way to Tarangire, we dropped off Paul so that he could start cooking and preparing the tents. So when we got to the campsite we had a table laid out with Africafe, Cadbury Drinking Chocolate (a.k.a. hot chocolate), Milo (malt hot chocolate), tea bags, and popcorn! Talk about living the life! And we had an amazing dinner. Y'all, this guy Paul can cook!! Everything is made from scratch the day of...it's crazy! 

But that was the first day of the safari. All those elephants in one place...just amazing! 

1 comment: