Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Taste of India

I don't really know how to pay my respects to some one on a blog but I just want to say that Madiba will be greatly missed. Romaana and I were watching a movie when we found out at 1 am our time. I will never forget that moment. But it's good to know after months of being in life support, he is finally free and at peace. 

Yesterday was my aunt Zara's birthday so we went and got a delicious chocolate cake and had a quiet celebration at home. 
There is Romaana and I getting the cake. 

She bullies me y'all (that's why I am making that face). She says, and I quote, "I've been waiting for this chance all my life." It's only because she is 3 years older! I finally know what it feels like to be a little sister, haha! 
Happy birthday Zara! 

Then today Aahil, Romaana and I went out to this new restaurant called Mithai (pronounced mitt-eye). It's in the style of street food in India or "fast food" in India. And y'all, it was veg but I didn't care because it was so good! 
Credit of those photos go to Aahil who has been the designated photographer for Romaana and I. 

Here are the dishes we ordered: 
This is called bhel. It's got potatoes and crisps with masala. That was our starter. 
Pav bhaji. This is just bread with mixed veggie curry. 
And finally, chili paneer! Oh man, this one was the best. Delicious and spicy! Since being here I have finally been able to eat spicy food. As in making me cry spicy food! 
There is Aahil getting mad at me for taking a photo...

After dinner we went to Sno-Cream for iced coffee. Oh man, it's the best iced coffee I've ever had. Instead of putting milk, they use vanilla ice cream! To give the milk and the ice!! Ohhhh goodness. I just don't want it to end. Heaven in a cup. Screw you, Starbucks. I've found a better coffee place. For much less! 

I would have taken a photo...but I was too busy enjoying the deliciousness of it to remember to take a picture...so forgive me! 

So far, being in Dar (hehe that rhymed) has been pretty chill. I don't have to wake up early, we've been going to khane regularly and just been having quality sis (or "dada" as they say in Swahili) time with Romaana. Aahil still has school, so he has been missing out! Haha! 

Shout out to my momma, aunt Selma and grandma! I love y'all!!


 



1 comment:

  1. And I'm shouting back at you!! :)
    I love that coffee with ice cream idea!! Clever! Now i'm in the mood for a Diet Coke float!
    The TV is all about Mandella and it should be. His funeral is next week and THREE former Cdn Prime Ministers as well as our present one are all attending. A suitable honour. There's a new movie about his life coming out soon; maybe you'll get to see it when you get back! :)

    ReplyDelete