Thursday, December 12, 2013

Good bye Dar!

So, this may seem a bit sudden but today was my last night in Dar es Salaam. I was originally planning to leave next week, but I'll get back to that later (as in another post). 

Anyway, since Sunday we have been going to khane a bunch. This week is a very auspicious week for Ismalis. On Sunday we had a morning prayer, but before that, Romaana and I went at the crack of dawn to set up fruit. 
Pretty fancy, huh?

Then after the special prayer we had sherbet (a milkshake kind of thing). 
And then when we got home we all took pictures together. 

Then everyone passed out for a couple hours. And oh man, it was raining like crazy! From the time we got back home (around 1 p.m. to when Romaana and I got back home at 1 a.m.)

Romaana and I went to an Indian movie that night! (This is still on Sunday). We went and saw the movie R...Rajkumar. It was such a stereotypical Indian movie, I loved it!! And, they even had an actual intermission for the movie! 

So then Monday, was a music party to celebrate the Upanga Khane's 50th birthday (Upanga is the area where I have been staying with Zeby) and Kushali (a holiday for Ismalis, like Christmas). They brought a Bollywood singer, Amar, who could do both men and women voices in the songs...which freaked me out at first because I thought he was lip syncing the women's voice. It was pretty amazing though. He was so cool, dancing and so energetic! 

They put lights on the khana for the celebrations and it looked so good!

And y'all, they had fresh made jalebi (an Indian dessert). It was delicious!! No...I didn't take a picture. I was too busy enjoying the moment! Haha. 

Then, yesterday after khane, we went back to Sno-Cream! And this time I took pictures. 
Best iced coffee I will ever have...ever. 

And y'all look at this picture of fruit...
Those are plums, grapes and straqberries. Real fruit...which is why it is so small! 

And finally, today we went for Mamboz and Snoopy's ice cream, just like last time!

At Snoopy's Romaana and I split a waffle ice cream. Which, I thought meant a waffle cone...but it was actually a waffle!
Mocha waffle with vanilla ice cream and bananas! Mmm mmm mmm! 

Also, today I got more mendhi done. But instead of the traditional Indian one like before, I got the Arab version (which I like much better!). Romaana has the pics and I'll post them when I get them!

I have loved being back in Dar. Even though I have stayed for a much shorter time than expected, it's been great. My home away from home. Everyone has been so welcoming and sweet to let me stay with them. And I've enjoyed having a big sister for a little while. :p Now it's their turn to come visit me in Texas! 




1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful khana and SO HUGE!!! I love that you're reconnecting with these great opportunities to experience your faith.
    How are handling all this moving around? I'm asking because your Mom came to visit me for only 4 days and left: her toothbrush and toothpaste, two bottles of wine, 4 beers, and I found 3 American quarters on the floor of my car! Do you travel the way your Mom does???

    ReplyDelete