Thursday, December 19, 2013

Ngorongoro

Once we arrived to Ngorongoro, we had the shock of our lives. Or at least of my life. It was FREEZING! As in, I could see my breath! In Tanzania! During their summer! What even?? But the view was amazing. 
We were at Simba campsite, over looking the crater. It was the only public campsite for Ngorongoro because you're not allowed to camp inside the crater so it was packed! We had to wait extra long to get a table inside the eating area for dinner. 

And y'all I am serious. It was so cold. I had on 4 layers and 2 pant layers. And my teeth were still chattering! 

The next morning we were up at 6 to have breakfast and I was able to watch the sunrise. The pictures don't do justice but I'll never forget watching it. So gorgeous, well worth the loss of sleep. 
That's an attempt to capture the colors but it didn't work. 

So off we went for our last game drive. We had seen 4 out of the big five and were hoping to catch a glimpse of a rhino. Edrick told us that the best place to see them was in Ngorongoro because the animals don't leave the crater, but even then it is hard. 

The crater was huge! As soon as you enter you're overwhelmed (just like when you enter the Serengeti, but in a different way). They have plains, a lake and a jungle all within the same area. It is just weird. 
Apparently an elephant did that to that tree. And we saw many animals that we saw in the Serengeti. Warthogs,
ostriches,
wildebeest and zebras.
And of course, lions! 
And hippos, but I've already posted pictures from Kisumu. 

So as we are driving we approach another vehicle which is stopped. Edrick talks to the other driver and we learn that there is a rhino about 10 miles or so away. So out come the binoculars and sure enough a black block with a huge front horn is walking across the plains!! As soon as we could confirm, Edrick said "well, that's the big five!" Our mission was complete. Or at least, mine was. And this rhino was so far away even Lourna, with her fancy camera, couldn't get very good pictures. And that wasn't the only rhino we saw! Later on, we saw a light grey one. He was also about 7 or 8 miles in the distance. 

It was just the perfect trip...just amazing. I still can't believe we saw them all and had such a good time. I was lucky enough to be put in such a good group of people who were so nice and welcoming! 
From left to right: Edrick, me, Rahim, Alkarim, Zuby, James and Lourna. 

It was just an amazing experience. And anyone who goes to visit any country in Africa has to go. But I highly recommend the places I went to. Tarangire, Serengeti (which also overlaps the Masai Mara in Kenya...that's how big it is) and Ngorongoro. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you saw the sunrise; I've heard it's incredibly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete