Saturday, November 16, 2013

Good bye Kisumu!

...well, I have no Internet as I am writing this...so this is probably going to be super late. I left Kisumu today (Wednesday, 13th) for Nairobi. It was a bittersweet farewell. I was glad to be leaving, in the sense that I am going to be seeing more of Kenya, but also sad because Munira Aunty and Amin Uncle have been so wonderful. I can't thank them enough for everything they have done for me. I am so lucky to have family like them. Yesterday (Tuesday), I went to khane and had a dinner with Asma, Munira and this architect from Israel. It was nice to have one last dinner with Asma before I left. 

I also spent most of the day with Massi and Masa. Masa and I talked about the changes in the country and he was asking me about US politics. Then Massi wanted to show me photos. It was crazy to see how young everyone looked. She had so many stories to tell about where they were in the pictures, what they were doing and who they were with. 

Then this morning, I woke up and finished some last minute packing before meeting Gulshan Aunty for breakfast. It was nice to be able to say bye. And finally, Munira and I headed to the airport. Checking in and getting to the departure gate was a breeze. It was the least stressful check in experience I've ever had. Munira and I took a photo together...but it's super blurry so just bare with me. 
And then Asma's aunt was also in the flight so we walked to the plane together.  
A last shot from the runway. And here is a view of Lake Victoria!
It makes you feel so small...
It turned out that I was in first class! I've never flown first class before so that was pretty fancy!!  They gave me juice in a fancy cup as we were waiting for take off and then a hot towel and a lovely snack. 
I was sitting by a student. I can't remember his name but he and I talked the whole flight (which was only 30 minutes but still!) He was my sister's age. He plays rugby and plans on becoming an ICT Technician. I know his whole life story now...haha. But he was sweet and we stuck together until we got outside of the airport.

 And I was met by Julie Aunty! She is so awesome! We got all my luggage and then went to have some Slush Budgiya (Ma and Bapa y'all know what I am talking about!). 
Yummy! A delicious snack/lunch. And then she took me home and so I've been packing and getting ready to leave for Kilifi. (By the time y'all are reading this I'll probably also have a post about Kilifi and maybe even Mombasa!). 

I just got back from khane. Oh man, that place is huge! And gorgeous! And there was an emergency helicopter landing. Apparently, it happens all the time because the hospital is right beside khane. So Nizar Uncle, Julie Aunty and I all watched along with all these little kids who were running around freaking out about the helicopter! 

We went for ice cream in Diamond Plaza. Dad! I saw the midget waiter that you always talk about!! He didn't serve us but I was able to picture Celine running away haha! 

And when we arrived back to Julie Aunty's house we saw and smelled the night queen in full bloom. It's this flower that only blooms at night and has the most amazing smell! 
This has already become a very long post so I'll talk about Thursday in a different one. 

1 comment:

  1. Someday I would LOVE to smell the night queen! What a unique moment.
    And I know it was first class and everything, but your pathetic airline snack was most uninteresting compared to all the other stuff to eat you've shown over the last 3 months!! haha!

    ReplyDelete