Saturday, November 16, 2013

Midnight Bus Ride

So on Thursday, I slept in for the first time in a while. Only until 10 (so not my usual sleeping in). Then Julie Aunty and I went to check out the area where I was supposed to meet Tabi for the bus to Kilifi. After exploring downtown for a little bit, we went to the market that is five minutes away from her house. 

It was so cool. There are so many awesome crafts that they have, all hand made. They are making all of them right there. It was an African version of the Grand Bazaar. I even saw lots of things that dad has brought back from Africa or what Ma and Bapa have gotten Saffana and I from Africa. It was weird and cool to see where all those gifts originally came from. So many things I recognized from home. 

While we were at the market, of course, we were bothered by every one trying to sell their goods. The good thing was that I understand Gujarathi and because I've been around people who are speaking it so much I'm slowly able to respond better. So the entire time Julie Aunty and I were speaking Gujarathi so that the vendors wouldn't know what we were saying. And since I've been here, Julie Aunty hasn't spoken any English with me which is great! 

After looking around the market we came home to rest. I was so tired all day yesterday and I have no idea why. (It's probably because of flying- I hate flying). Then at 5 p.m. the driver, Eddie, (who is my new BFF) picked me up to go meet Tabi at 6:15. At 7:45, I finally arrived at the restaurant. TWO HOURS AND FORTY FIVE MINUTES LATER!! That's how long it took to get to a place that was 5 kilometers away! Y'all. I was so pissed. I hate traffic to begin with. I hate just sitting still also, and it was just sitting still. Dead stop. Eddie was used to it, but not me. Ugh. 

So during the traffic Eddie and I got to know each other pretty well. He is super cool. We jammed out to Tupac and Jay-Z. He told me about Nairobi, I told him about Texas. He promised me when I get back to Nairobi in Janurary he will take me to a rap store so I can go buy Kiswahili rap CDs! He was impressed that I like African music. I also told him he was invited to my wedding to Drake...(;

Finally, I got to the restaurant and immediately we left for the bus stop. (I had already eaten so it worked out for the best). The bus left at 9 and we got to the station at 8:50 and had to pick up tickets. But this is Kenya, and the bus didn't even leave until 9:30! And we didn't get out of traffic until 10:30. 
Tabi and I chilling in the bus! 

The bus ride was pretty uneventful. They had 2 pit stops but I just slept. I had my headphones in and just relaxed. We didn't get to Kilifi until this morning at 7:15 (Friday). We have just been relaxing and all of the group have exams next week so they are all studying. And I am chilling with the puppy!

1 comment:

  1. Imagine being able to understand and now even SPEAK Gujarathi!! You are incredibly talented with languages, aren't you! And it certainly comes in handy, especially when shopping!! ha!
    Your "African time" stories make my blood pressure rise!! That would drive me crazy!! I cannot understand how people can live like that!!
    So glad you and Tabi got to interact again! So cool to have TWO granddaughters in Africa…I can't stop grinning! :)

    ReplyDelete